Access to Higher Education
Change your career with an Access course
An Access course allows you to aim for a graduate-entry career, because it means you can apply for a degree course at university after one year.
Access to Higher Education courses are tailor-made for mature students aged 19+ who are planning to study for a degree but who do not have the A-Levels required for entry.
The Access course is an intensive programme of study, and you should have already experienced study at GCSE level. If you haven't taken GCSEs, then you may wish to explore the Diploma in Preparation for Further Study options.
Follow in their footsteps: students share their stories to inspire you
- Head Teachers have Susan on speed-dial
- Sarah starts her degree BA in Social Work at Goldsmiths, University of London
- National recognition for Access to Science student, Yulanda
- "Seeing how the nurses cared for my Father inspired me to change career" says Augustina Asumang
National award-winning Access to Law - for aspiring Solicitors and Barristers
In November 2015, our Access to Law programme won a major national award - an Association of Colleges' Beacon Award - for our work in setting up a Legal Clinic to give Access to Law students real experience to help develop their skills.
Subjects linked to your degree plans
You can choose to study one of a number of Access subjects at Barking & Dagenham College, depending upon your plans for your degree subject.
Our Access to Higher Education courses are popular and we would encourage you to apply as soon as you can.
On one of our flexible Access courses, you’ll study through a mixture of blended online learning as well as face-to-face lectures and tutorials.
If you're thinking about applying for an Access to Higher Education Diploma you must have English at GCSE A* - C (or 9-4 new grades) or a Level 2 Functional Skills.
We currently have 14 courses available.
- Access to Higher Education Diploma - Social Sciences (Level 3)
- Flexible Access to Higher Education Diploma in Health Professions
- Vocational Studies (Access) Level 1 Level 1
- Diploma in Preparing for Further Study Level 2 - Health, Social Care and Social Work Level 2
- Diploma in Preparing for Further Study Level 2 - Science Level 2
- Access to Higher Education Diploma - Education Studies/Teaching, Level 3, 1 year Level 3
- Access to Higher Education Diploma - Business Level 3
- Access to Higher Education Diploma - IT, Level 3, 1 year Level 3
- Access to Higher Education Diploma - International Relations (Level 3) Level 3
- Access to Higher Education Diploma - Law & Legal Studies, Level 3, 1 year Level 3
- Access to Higher Education Diploma - Social Care & Social Work, Level 3, 1 year Level 3
- Access to Higher Education Diploma Nursing & Midwifery Level 3, 1 year Level 3
- Access to Higher Education Diploma in Art & Design Level 3
- Flexible Access to Higher Education Diploma - Science/ Bioscience, Level 3, 1 year Level 3
Find out how you can complete an Access course for FREE with an Advanced Learner Loan. Here's how:
An Advanced Learner Loan can help you meet the cost of tuition fees. And when you get your degree, Student Finance England will 'write off' your Loan. So, your Access course is FREE. Click to find out more.
See the Law in Action