Administration & Secretarial
Insight into a Legal career
Hear from someone who has worked in this field for over 25 years.
"The role of a legal secretary covers a range of different responsibilities. Your role is to provide administrative and secretarial support to solicitors and paralegals.
"I have worked as a legal secretary for over 25 years and love the challenge. It is demanding but also interesting and rewarding - especially when cases come to a conclusion and you know that you have had a successful outcome for your client"
- You have to be very organised and able to plan your day and prioritise your tasks
- You need a good eye for detail as you are working with personal client information, which is also confidential
- You should have good communication skills and be able to deal successfully with colleagues and clients
Legal careers: recruiters talk of increased demand for skilled legal PAs
September 2014: Lawson Clark one of London's leading legal recruitment consultancies says:
"In the last 6 months we have seen an increased demand for good legal secretaries. A junior legal secretary, with 2 or 3 years' experience, you could expect to earn around £28,000 a year. As a senior legal PA role you could earn up to £40,000 or even more.
"As a legal secretary you'll have a varied and dynamic career and for those who are at the very top of their game there could be opportunities to take on para-legal responsibilities."
Quick links to related subject areas
We currently have 6 courses available.
- BTEC Certificate in Principles of Business Administration Entry Level
- City & Guilds Legal Secretary Diploma Level 3
- BTEC Diploma in Business Administration Level 1 Level 1
- BTEC Certificate in Principles of Business and Administration Level 2 Level 2
- City & Guilds Legal Secretary Diploma Level 2 Level 2
- OCR Diploma in Administration (Business Professional) Level 3 Level 3
CILEx is the professional association and governing body for legal executives, laywers and other legal practitioners.
CILEx works in partnership with City & Guilds to develop the courses we offer. These are the courses that the legal industry demands.
Three second year legal secretarial students accepted at Clifford Chance
Rachael Edwards, Laura Sawyer and Tia Howard, who are currently studying the BDC course Diploma for Legal Secretaries Level 3, have been selected for three work experience placements in one of the largest and most prestigious Law firms in the world, Clifford Chance. Read more
Our students impress top law firm, Norton Rose LLP
Antonette, Lauren and Emma beat over 90 applicants to win coveted positions at top international legal practice, Norton Rose LLP.
"Their enthusiasm, postive attitude and skills really impressed the team here." said Norton Rose's HR Manager, "our recruitment process is rigorous and we only take on the best.