Governance & Policy
Barking & Dagenham College Corporation
Barking and Dagenham Corporation is a Further Education Corporation established under the Further and Higher Education Act 1992.
The highest level at which the constitution of the Corporation is defined is the Instrument and Articles of Government. The legal responsibilities of the Corporation are set out in Articles 3:1:
The Corporation shall be responsible for the following functions:
- Determination of the educational character and mission of the institution and the oversight of its activities;
- Approving the quality strategy;
- The effective and efficient use of resources, the solvency of the institution and the Corporation and safeguarding their assets;
- Approving annual estimates of income and expenditure;
- The appointment and terms of conditions of employment for Senior Postholders and the Clerk, and
- Setting the framework for the pay and conditions of service for all other staff.
The Corporation operates through a Committee structure comprising of five Committees which meet regularly and report to the Corporation:
- Audit Committee
- Performance & Standards Committee
- Policy & Resources Committee
- Remuneration Committee
- Search & Governance Committee
The Corporation has established standing orders to further prescribe its operation which are available on request to the Clerk.
Becoming a Governor
If you are interested in becoming a Governor please contact the Clerk – Victoria Eastwood (Victoria.Eastwood@bdc.ac.uk) for further information. Please also refer to the fact sheet The Role of a College Governor.
Quick links to key information