Construction Design & Site Management
This subject area is for anyone who wants to follow a career in an aspect of construction management. The type of careers open to you include:
- Architect: you design the building
- Building Surveyor: you provide professional advice on property and construction including residential, commercial, industrial, leisure and agriculture projects. You work on the design and development of new buildings as well as the restoration and maintenance of existing ones.You may be called upon to give evidence in court as an expert witness in cases where building regulations have been breached
- Quantity Surveyor or Construction Cost Manager: you work out how much the project will cost and make sure it doesn't go over budget
- Structural Engineer: you make sure the building is safe and sound
- Building Services Engineer: you make sure the building is heated, ventilated and has the right power sources
- Construction Manager or Site Manager: your role is to supervise and direct operations on a construction project to make sure it is completed safely, on time and within budget.
In this job you will need to be a 'people person'. You will need to be a creative problem solver. You will also need to be good at organising and planning.
You benefit from our professional industry links
As a student at Barking & Dagenham College benefit from our professional links with the leading organisations in Construction Design & Site Management, including:
- Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA): as a student on Construction Design & Site Management you will visit their London HQ during your course to meet RIBA qualified architects.
- Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS): again you will visit the RICS HQ to find out about the industry from qualifiied surveyors
We currently have 9 courses available.
- Construction Crafts NVQ for those already employed Level 2
- BTEC Extended Diploma in Construction and The Built Environment Level 3 Level 3
- BTEC Subsidiary Diploma in Construction Level 3 Level 3
- Construction Crafts NVQ for those already employed Level 3
- BTEC Higher National Certificate in Construction and the Built Environment Level 4 Level 4
- Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) Certificate in Site Management Level 4 (QCF) Level 4
- Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) Certificate in Site Supervision Level 4
- Diploma in Site Management Level 4 (QCF) CIOB (Chartered Institute of Building) Level 4
- City & Guilds Introduction to Bricklaying and Plastering Entry Level Level E
London's growth will mean more technical and construction jobs
Take a look at the video below and find out more about the courses we offer from one of our students
Higher Level Study in Construction Design & Site Management
If you are working in the site management role you can study with us for the CIOB Certificate in Site Management (QCF) at Level 4 followed by the CIOB Diploma in Site Management (QCF) also at Level 4.
At the Higher Education Level we also offer the BTEC Higher National Certificate in Construction and the Build Environment Level 4.
NEW! Civil Engineering from 2015
From September 2015, we will be introducing the BTEC Higher National Certificate in Civil Engineering at Level 4. Look out for more information coming shortly.
For Construction Crafts and Trades
Don't forget to also take a look at these related course areas:
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Painting & Decorating
- Plastering- we are endorsed by The Worshipful Company of Plaisterers as the leading college for tuition in London and the Home Counties
- Wall & Floor Tiling