Cookery & Food Studies
1 in 6 people in London work in hospitality: train now at Barking & Dagenham College and grab those job opportunities
Tabitha Aldrich-Smith, spokesperson at the
British Hospitality Association said:
"One in every 6 people in London work in hospitality and there are thousands of opportunities for people looking for a career in the hospitality sector in London right now. If you have the right positive can do attitude you can go all the way to the top in hospitality.
"20 million of us eat at least one meal out of the home every day and at the heart of the restaurant scene is London. Top restaurant teams are setting up high profile establishments with global chefs, but also an amazing street food, start up and pop up scene."
City & Guilds: Level 1 right up to Level 3
London is the heart of the restaurant scene and if you have your sights set on reaching the top you need to have a creative passion for food, for delivering good service and for hard work.
Our professional courses are for those who want to train to work in restaurant and hospitality industry.
"Second to none", says proud parent
Julie from Essex, whose son is training to be a chef at Barking & Dagenham College, talks about the industry-standard training environment:
“The training kitchens and the restaurants, where students get real work experience catering for paying customers, are second to none – far beyond anything we have seen at any other college.
“It’s proving to be an excellent place from which to step into the professional world of cooking and catering management.”
You'll train in our commercial and training restaurants
We currently have 9 courses available.
- City & Guilds Food Preparation & Cooking NVQ Certificate Level 1 Level 1
- City & Guilds Introduction to Professional Cookery Diploma Level 1 Level 1
- Wine & Spirit Appreciation Course Beginner Level 1 Level 1
- BTEC Level 2 First Diploma in Hospitality Level 2
- City & Guilds Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Food Production and Cooking (Patisserie and Confectionery) Level 2
- City & Guilds NVQ Diploma in Professional Cookery Level 2 Level 2
- Wine & Spirit Appreciation Course Intermediate Level 2 Level 2
- City & Guilds Diploma in Professional Patisserie and Confectionery Level 3 Level 3
- City & Guilds NVQ Diploma Professional Cookery and Food Preparation Level 3 Level 3
"Adrenalin rush": student Perry Torrance talks about GCSEs and the future
With 13 GCSEs under his belt including 1 A* and 10 A grades, Perry (age 17) joined Barking & Dagenham College in September 2013 to train to be a chef.
Perry (pictured above on the left with Alan Bird) who juggles jobs at Bird of Smithfield and at Tasty Affair Catering, alongside his studies, is about to start on the next level of his City & Guilds Diploma in Professional Cookery and gives some advice to others who are thinking about their next step this summer.
Patisserie student, Rachel Nafi, explains the benefits of studying catering at Barking & Dagenham College:
Students perform Hamlet
28 February 2017
Stars from The Voice and X Factor perform at fundraising event
3 March 2017
Inspiration Day 2017
9 March 2017
Rush Green Open Event, Saturday, 11 March, 10am - 2pm
11-16 March 2017
WHU Foundation Learning Academy - Trial dates
11 March 2017