City & Guilds diplomas give your career that extra spark
An electrical career is one of the most highly paid in the wider construction sector, with £30,444 as the average salary for an electrician.
At Barking & Dagenham College you can study City & Guilds Diploma in Electrical Installation at Level 1, 2 and 3, as well as the additional Inspection & Testing qualifications, and the 17th Edition Wiring Regulations.
Boost your earning potential
If you want the flexiblity to work in domestic, commercial and industrial settings you will need to study beyond the City & Guilds Diploma at Level 2 and 3 courses.
10 week Fast Track options for students age 19+
For those of you in a hurry to complete your training, look for the Fast Track options for City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Electrical Installation and City & Guilds Level 3 Diploma in Electrical Installations.
Your career options
Electrical skills and knowledge give you a wide choice of career options, including:
- Installation electrician: installing power systems, lighting, fire protection, security and data-network systems in all types of buildings
- Maintenance electrician: checking systems regularly to make sure that they are working efficiently and safely
- Electro-Technical panel builders: building and installing control panels that operate the electrical systems inside buildings
- Machine repair and rewind electricians: repairing and maintaining electrical motors and other machinery like transformers to make sure that they work correctly
- Highway systems electricians: installing and maintaining street lighting and traffic management.
Additional Inspection & Testing qualifications mean you can sign off your own work
There are many different electrical courses and qualifications available which dictate how qualified you are and determine which type of electrical work you are able to do.
You can study the two Inspection and Testing courses at Level 3 (City & Guilds 2394 & 2395) at Barking & Dagenham College, qualifying you to sign off your own work in a domestic setting. This is also referred to as self certification, and will also mean you can register on to a Competent Persons Scheme.
We currently have 8 courses available.
- City & Guilds 7202 Level 1 Diploma in Electrical Installations Level 1
- City & Guilds 2365 Level 2 Diploma in Electrical Installation (full-time) Level 2
- City & Guilds 2365 Level 2 Diploma in Electrical Installation: 10 week fast track for students 19+ Level 2
- City & Guilds 2365 Level 2 Diploma in Electrical Installations over 2 Years (Evenings) Level 2
- City & Guilds 2365 Diploma in Electrical Installations Level 3 (full-time) Level 3
- City & Guilds 2365 Level 3 Diploma in Electrical Installations: 10 week fast track for students 19+ Level 3
- City & Guilds 2394/95 Level 3 Inspection and Testing (Evenings) Level 3
- Electrical Installation Wiring Regulations Certificate (17th Edition) (BS7671) Level 3
“The money is good and I’m on my way to becoming a fully-fledged electrician”
Three trainee electricians from the same City & Guilds electrical course at Barking & Dagenham College have been given their first jobs in industry at the same company, WysePower.
The WysePower Group, who provide temporary electrics on commercial building sites, have recruited Danny Barclay, 20 from Canning Town, James Clarke, 19, from Stratford and Cameron Aguimatang, 19 from Dagenham, as trainee electricians after they all graduated from Barking & Dagenham College with a Level 3 qualification in electrical installation in 2013.
The fellow-students are now working on prestigious commercial building sites across London: Danny on a flagship site at King’s Cross; James on a large hotel and office development, whilst Cameron is working on a major refurbishment project at Old Street.
Visit the Electrical Careers website
WHU Foundation Learning Academy - Trial dates
11 March-10 June 2017
Rush Green Campus Open Event, Thursday 6 April 2017, 4.30 - 7pm
6 April 2017