Study with one of London's leading plumbing training centres
You'll be in good company because Barking & Dagenham College trains around 200 plumbers every year.
As a professional plumber you have lots of career options: launching your own business, working for an employer, or specialising in a particular sector, for example:
- Domestic or commercial plumbing
- Heating Services Engineer
- Gas Central Heating Engineer
- Renewable Energy Technician
Approved Centre: Members of the Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineers (CIPHE)
This means that when you choose Barking & Dagenham College, you are studying at a CIPHE approved centre.
It means that you benefit from the links we have to the plumbing industry, and access to the latest information about developments in the sector.
Your Earning Potential
As a trained plumber you could expect to earn anything from £25,000 to up £60,000+.
If you are self employed the sky is the limit - you put the work in, you get the pay out.
Employers talent spot at Barking & Dagenham College
Our close partnership with employers means that they often talent spot for apprenticeship vacancies from amongst our full-time students.
If you are aiming for an apprenticeship, you could consider joining a full-time course to improve your skills and knowledge, making you more attractive to potential employers.
We currently have 7 courses available.
- CSkills Building Craft Occupations Level 1: a DIY Saturday course covering a variety of trades Level 1
- City & Guilds Extended Certificate in Construction Skills Level 1 (6219) Technical Skills Academy Level 1
- City & Guilds Level 1 in Plumbing Studies (7202) Level 1
- City & Guilds Diploma in Plumbing Studies (6035-02) Level 2 Level 2
- City & Guilds Diploma in Plumbing Studies (6035) Level 3 Level 3
- NEW! QCF Level 3 Diploma in Gas Utilisation: Core Skills & Knowledge Level 3
- City & Guilds Extended Certificate in Construction Skills Level 1 (6219) Technical Skills Academy Level E
Students deliver children’s charity centre facelift
Student plumbers, electricians, painters and decorators, plasterers and trainee construction site managers from Barking & Dagenham College helped renovate a residential activity centre for underprivileged children as part of a project led by VINCI Facilities.
Watch this great video produced by Barking & Dagenham College media students Pavel Burmistrov and Ahmed Maqsood to find out more about this project and to meet the construction students involved.
"The growth in sustainable technologies means we are on the verge of the biggest revolution in plumbing since the introduction of central heating", says Lee Regan, our Curriculum Manager for Plumbing.
"It's a fast-moving, exciting industry, where your earning potential is completely in your hands. Just look at the success of Charlie Mullins and Pimlico Plumbers"
Minister visits Plumbing Academy
The Rt Hon Dr Vince Cable MP visited our Rush Green campus in Spring 2014 and here he is in discussions with one of our trainee plumbers in our new Plumbing Academy.
Horstmann supports the next generation!
As a trainee plumber you will work with top-of-the-range equipment. Bristol-based Horstmann have supplied high quality central heating controls and system accessories for students to work on, including:
- Horstmann HRT room thermostats
- CentaurPlus programmers
- ZonePlus motorised valves
- HCT2 cylinder thermostats
Tutor Toby Bedzell says "Students like them because of ease of installation and then simplicity in use when they compile their user instructions."
WHU Foundation Learning Academy - Trial dates
11 March-10 June 2017
Rush Green Campus Open Event, Thursday 6 April 2017, 4.30 - 7pm
6 April 2017