Barking & Dagenham College stands against racism in all its forms.
We are committed to equality, inclusion and creating better lives for all.
We are deeply saddened by the killing of George Floyd and stand with the Black Lives Matter movement.
We ask all our students and staff to work with us to challenge and change negative attitudes relating to race, and create a truly inclusive society where diversity and individuality are always respected.
To Barking & Dagenham College, Black Lives really do Matter. Fairness and respect for all are in the fabric of our organisation and part of our consciousness. We are proud that our workforce is representative of the diverse student population and the wider community we serve.
Our Student Leadership Team plays a key role in supporting the college management to ensure we provide equal opportunities to all.
We recognise that we can do more. We must not waste this opportunity for further change.
- We will continue our commitment to train staff on racial equality issues.
- We will continue to ensure that all students and staff, regardless of race, have access to personalised learning and support to help them reach their potential.
- We will review our tutorial programme and develop this further to raise awareness, promote racial equality issues and foster youth leadership to support change.
- We will facilitate ongoing discussions in relation to black history and promote the contributions and achievements of black people beyond the college.
- We will listen to and provide opportunities for staff and students to share their stories to break down barriers further.
- We, as the senior and college leadership team, will establish a mentoring programme to support disadvantaged learners to develop their leadership skills.
- We will continue to champion change, seek new ways to collaborate and raise awareness to inform and change policies.
We, as the senior leadership team, will continue to be role models for racial equality.