Construction Design & Site Management
The London construction sector is booming! Barking & Dagenham College is the perfect place to train for a successful career in the Construction Design & Site Management sector.
Our tutors are industry experts and will help you to understand the theory and gain the practical experience needed to succeed. You'll also get to train in our industry-standard workshops. Our links with employers are second to none, which means you’ll have access to some great work experience opportunities.
Our construction craft courses will develop practical skills and knowledge and provide a pathway to progress into higher level construction courses within the built environment.
This subject area is for anyone who wants to follow a career in an aspect of construction management. The type of careers open to you include:
Architect: you design the building
Building Surveyor: you provide professional advice on property and construction including residential, commercial, industrial, leisure and agriculture projects. You work on the design and development of new buildings as well as the restoration and maintenance of existing ones.You may be called upon to give evidence in court as an expert witness in cases where building regulations have been breached
Quantity Surveyor or Construction Cost Manager: you work out how much the project will cost and make sure it doesn't go over budget
Structural Engineer: you make sure the building is safe and sound
Building Services Engineer: you make sure the building is heated, ventilated and has the right power sources
- Construction Manager or Site Manager: your role is to supervise and direct operations on a construction project to make sure it is completed safely, on time and within budget. In this job you will need to be a 'people person'. You will need to be a creative problem solver. You will also need to be good at organising and planning.
Mayor’s Construction Academy
We’ve been awarded the Mayor’s Construction Academy (MCA) quality mark, which identifies and recognises high-quality construction skills training provision in London.
Thinking about a career in construction management or a construction trade? Apply now to get started.
You benefit from our professional industry links
As a student here, you'll benefit from our professional links with the leading organisations in Construction Design & Site Management, including:
- Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA). You will visit their London HQ during your course to meet RIBA qualified architects.
- Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS). You will visit the RICS HQ to find out about the industry from qualified surveyors
Our partnership with Erasmus+ means you have the opportunity to take part in a two or three week work placement in Europe. These are great work experience opportunities where you can develop your confidence, cultural and language awareness and enhanced employability skills. Find out more and how to apply.
We currently have 2 courses available.
- BTEC Extended Diploma in Construction and The Built Environment Level 3 Level 3
- BTEC Subsidiary Diploma in Construction Level 3 Level 3
London's growth will mean more technical and construction jobs
Take a look at the video below and find out more about the courses we offer from one of our students
Higher Level Study in Construction Design & Site Management
At the Higher Education Level we also offer the BTEC Higher National Certificate in Construction and the Build Environment Level 4.
For Construction Crafts and Trades
Don't forget to also take a look at these related course areas:
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Painting & Decorating
- Plastering- we are endorsed by The Worshipful Company of Plaisterers as the leading college for tuition in London and the Home Counties
- Wall & Floor Tiling