Art & Design
We have an extensive range of creative art & design courses which include fine art, graphic design, drawing & painting, 2D & 3D design, fashion and much more…
Whether you see yourself as an advertising executive or a product designer, there is no better starting point than an art & design course at Barking & Dagenham College.
As part of your studies you'll use the latest industry-standard equipment, such as a 3D printer and laser cutter, in a hi-tech workshop environment.
The qualifications are nationally recognised with a focus on the practical application of basic skills and knowledge required by designers today.
Our partnership with Erasmus+ means you have the opportunity to take part in a two or three week work placement in Europe. These are great work experience opportunities where you can develop your confidence, cultural and language awareness and enhanced employability skills. Find out more and how to apply.
We currently have 7 courses available.
- Level 2 BTEC Diploma in Art and Design (1 year) Level 2
- Level 3 & 4 Diploma in Art & Design: Foundation Studies Level 3
- Level 3 BTEC Diploma in 3D Design (2 Years) Level 3
- Level 3 BTEC Diploma in Art and Design (2 years) Level 3
- Level 3 BTEC Diploma in Graphic Design (2 years) Level 3
- BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Art & Design Level 5
- Foundation Degree (FdA) 3D Design UCAS Code CA03 (2 Years) Level 5
Art and design courses equip you with a combination of practical skills mixed with theory. The specific skills differ according to the art and design discipline, but the following transferable skills are common to all subject areas:
- imagination and creativity
- critical awareness of self and external factors and the ability to be reflective
- interpersonal and social skills
- an appreciation of diversity
- creative problem-solving
- the ability to work independently
- oral and written communication
- visual presentation
- information and research
- self-motivation and self-management
- organisation and planning
- IT, particularly using creative software
Your job opportunities
Many employers seek to recruit people who are lateral thinkers and creative problem-solvers, qualities that are natural to artists and designers. Jobs you could do that are related to these courses are;
- Art therapist
- Community arts worker
- Fashion designer
- Fine artist
- Graphic designer
- Textile designer