You are:


We provide additional support for anyone with learning difficulties, health problems or disabilities

Specialist Support

Barking & Dagenham College can offer a range of specialist support for students with a special education need as a result of a learning difficulty or disability.

What is a Special Educational Need (SEN)?

A person has special educational needs (SEN) if s/he has learning difficulties or disabilities that make it harder for them to learn than most other people of a similar age.

Many people will have special educational needs of some kind during their education.

How Barking & Dagenham College can help

Nicky Gibson, our Head of Additional Learning Support & Personal Development, leads a highly-trained team who provide a range of support to make sure that all BDC students have equality of access and opportunity.

If you have any questions, please get in touch



“The support and understanding at Barking & Dagenham College has given our son Jack equal opportunities and has bridged the gap between his special educational needs and abilities.

“The tutors offer genuine enthusiastic care and support.”

Barry McGurk
Parent of Jack McGurk, who is currently studying for an Extended Diploma in Interactive Media at Barking & Dagenham College.

Peace of mind

If you, or a young person in your family, has a learning difficulty or disability there are lots of ways we can help support them, such as providing:

  • Specialist equipment
  • Adaptive technology and specialist software
  • In-class support via a learning support practitioner
  • One-to-one tuition and specialist support for:
    • Maths and number work
    • English: spelling, reading and writing
    • English for Speakers of Other Languages
    • Specialist Dyslexia Tuition
  • A Communication Support Worker – for Deaf/Hearing Impaired
  • Extra help or more time in exams and with assignments
  • Advice on grants that may be available

Involve us early on

The first step is to make sure we understand exactly the type of support that is needed.

Please do apply as early as possible for a course. Our application form includes a section where you can tell us about the learning difficulties, disabilities or medical conditions that you may have.

Once you have declared a need for ALS, the application form will be copied and sent to the ALS team who will contact you to attend an ALS interview in order to discuss your support needs and devise a support plan to suit your individual needs. 

The right mix of support for you

Our team of Learning Support Practitioners provide a range of assistance in the classroom and beyond, including:

  • Personal Care
  • Modification/Simplification of language
  • Note-taking assistance
  • Orientation
  • Assistance during breaks and at lunch

DSA Funded Tuition

Click here to see what support is available via the Disabled Students Allowance (DSA).

Help with dyslexia
Access if you have a physical disability
Help if you have a hearing impairment
Help if you have a visual impairment
Students with Complex Needs