An advanced course covering specialist areas, and developing your painting & decorating skills further.
Builds on the learnings from Levels 1 & 2, and can give you a full NVQ award once you have completed some professional work.
You'll focus on specialist areas such as:
- Decorative finishes
- High volume spray application
- Specialist (and expensive!) wall coverings such as Lincrustra (used in the Titanic) and wide vinyls (for industrial properties)
- Supervisory skills to prepare you for a more responsible role in the workplace
- Access equipment: scaffolding, mobile scaffolds, steps, trestles, ladders
- Preparation of surfaces: washing down, rubbing down by hand & mechanical methods, filling and stopping
- Application of coatings by brush, spray and roller
- Application of wall coverings such as lining paper, woodchip, embossed, patterned pulp, vinyl, pre-pasted, Hessian, Lincrusta and industrial vinyl
- Specialist decorating: graining, marbling, broken colour, stencilling
- Health & safety
The course features continuous assessment, covering practical activities, written work and oral tests.
There's also an end-of-year multiple-choice test.
To gain a full NVQ, students must also work in the industry and produce work-based evidence.
Successful completion of Level 2 of the Diploma, or equivalent.
From the practical skills and knowledge gained, students can get units of competence. The units build to provide National Vocational Qualifications in Painting and Decorating to foundation, intermediate and advanced levels.
These qualifications can then be boosted to a full NVQ once students can gain evidence of competence in the workplace.
You can also choose to progress to BTEC Building Studies.