Level 3

Access to Higher Education Diploma (Youth & Community Work)


1 year


Rush Green


Oct 2021


Adult 19+

The Access to Higher Education Diploma (Youth and Community Work) is a Level 3 qualification which prepares those without traditional qualifications for study at university.

It is designed for:

  • adults with a current or previous role in youth and community work e.g. youth worker, care worker, voluntary community worker;
  • adults who, because of social, educational or individual circumstances, were unable to participate in or benefit from initial education;
  • adults seeking a change of direction because of unemployment or lack of career opportunities in their previous field and who have a demonstrable interest in entering a youth and community work related profession

Learners will be assessed through coursework, presentations, debates and exams.

Work experience is highly desirable to support your UCAS application.

You will need a Level 2 Functional Skills in English or a GCSE in English grade 4+ (C or above).

The Access programme requires the study of 19 units, over 9 month period and therefore to successfully complete this programme you'll require a lot of self-discipline and resilience. It's designed for mature learners who have substantial work, personal or academic experience and can demonstrate that they have successfully overcome challenges before.

Applicants who are not 19 at the start of the academic year (the 31st August) are expected to have maths and English at level 2 and if successful in getting a place on an Access to Higher Education Diploma Programme it is compulsory that you participate in the national study programmes for the under 19s as well.

You can progress to Higher Education in areas related to Youth and Community Work. These may include some of the following:

  • Social Work
  • Youth and Community Work
  • Community Development
  • Social Policy and other related degrees.

Some colleges offer internal progression to, for example, their Higher National Diplomas in Health and Social Care.